Thursday, January 31, 2013

Woman Shaping Texas!

TEXAS HISTORY MUSEUM

OVERALL DESCRIPTION ( Bullock Building): Outside of the Texas Museum is a lone star sculpture, and at the top of the building are solid images of men working and they are moving a cart full of haystack. The inside is very elegant, upon walking in is marble flooring with designs and paintings on the ground; it is almost as if you were inside the Capitol building.

In addition, the stairs form a swirl, where each floor covers different aspects of Texas History. The view from up top is amazing and along walking up the stairs the rails are made out of wood, furnished and polished neatly. So if you have a chance do not hesitate and go take a look at these great features presented in the Texas History Museum.

I was amazed that I have been living in Austin for over a year and had not visited this place till now. I'm so glad I had the opportunity of checking it out and hope you all do the same, it is truly a worthwhile and learning experience!
Picture:http://www.utexas.edu/ce/roadscholar/programs/austin/
Location: Museum is located at 1800 N. CongressAvenue at the intersection of Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. In downtown Austin, Texas ; between the state Capitol and the University of Texas campus

 Hours: Monday-Saturday:9-6pm & Sunday: Noon-6pm
Picture: http://studentorgs.engr.utexas.edu/expo/corporate/reception.cfm
1st floor- Texas Woman History, as well as how early settlers and missions took place.
2nd floor- The identity of significant battles.
3rd floor- How Texas adapted to the land and how technology has developed throughout the years.

Women stories have been developed to enrich people with how Texas women helped seize opportunities based on states land, during wartime, sports and even entertainment. Although, women struggled to make change, some women were able to succeeded through hard work. Therefore, in order to have a better understanding of how a women's role began to expand in a sense that they were becoming more than just housewives, we will  examine and analyze essential documents, photographs and objects that were presented in the Texas State History Museum.

  
"We never stop learning, there is so much to be learned as we go along, and those lessons give us energy." - Sarah Weddington
Women In Health:
Taking care of health needs was something very important in the lives of many women. The desire of mothers to do the best job possible in raising their children and keeping them in a safe environment took part during the 20th century. For example, in the 1900 most women gave birth with assistance of midwives rather than doctors and looked to other women for assistance and advice. within Mexican American communities 'curanderas' known as healers who were women who often offered traditional folk-healing methods.


Women's Athletics:
Early in the century, most of the women who oversaw women's education promoted healthy, active lifestyles, sports training and competition among young women. Anna Hiss: appointed director of physical training for female students at the University of Texas in 1921, developed a range of activities for female students and helped found the Texas Athletic Foundation in College in 1923.














5 comments:

  1. I've been here before, but I didn't know the first floor had women's history in it. I went for the theater (if I'm thinking of the right place). I'll be sure to check it out next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, in the left side of the first floor there is allot of information about women's history! I believe it just got added to the Museum because there was a big banner outside stating how they had just added Women History.

      Delete
    2. Oh okay that's probably why I don't remember it. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I have been planing to visit this place for a long time, but never got a chance. After looking at these awesome pictures I will surely visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you are Raheel! it will totally be worth the trip!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.