Sunday, March 3, 2013

2nd Post: South Congress

Introduction:

I visited my site on a bright Saturday Afternoon, one of South Congress's busiest times for visitors, to survey the area. This was the perfect time to observe people in the area because the notoriously long line at Hopdoddy's on a weekend offered a great opportunity to watch the area.

Environmental Interaction:

The people around the area were interacting heavily with their surroundings because the urban environment was usually the purpose of their visit. People were waiting at the bus stop down the road, window shopping at the small boutiques, crossing the street, driving down the road, and mostly waiting in line at Hopdoddy.

Gender Identities:

I focused mainly on people waiting in line to be seated at Hopdoddy. There was an even mix of men and women with many families present. Groups of women were chattier than groups of men waiting in line with each other. At the tables outside of the restaurant women seemed to be having a more difficult time to enjoying their Hopdoddy's burger because of the mess, while men were less concerned with their ketchup running off their burger. Mostly women and couples were window shopping and looking at the merchandise at the trailer park set up for retail on the corner.


4 comments:

  1. Cool! Do you think there were more families than couples or more single people in groups?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you notice any difference in the interaction among families or large groups compared to small groups or couples? I need to visit this place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily there were definitely more couples and friends at Hopdoddy's. I didn't notice much of a difference between small groups of people and large groups of people. Everyone was socializing if they were with a group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting. I have heard about Hopdoddy's, but never been there. I will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.