Sunday, April 28, 2013

As a freshman this was a fun project to work on because in a way my three visits marked different experiences of being a first year. The first couple times I went to hopdoddy's, my first blog post included in one of these visits, I was ecstatic to be roaming the streets of SoCo. I had heard so much about this great city of Austin, and really hadn't experienced it until my second semester when this blog started. I hadn't quite seen myself as an Austinite yet, or really anyone but an Oregonian. I was unfamiliar with the area, and initially had trouble finding the place to begin with. By my last visit to Hopdoddy's, I was bringing my father to check out SoCo and have Hopdoddy's for the first time. This trip made me realize I had finally fit in with my surroundings. I suggested what my dad should order, pointed out Homeslice Pizza accross the street, and mentioned which movie stars had stayed in the motel down the street. No more did I stick out among the crowd as a tourist, or fumbling freshman-I blended in with the landscape among college students, "Keep Austin Weird" supporters, and all the other Austinites in the area.  

4 comments:

  1. So great to hear you are loving Austin! I didn't realize this was your first semester here. Also, neat observation on "fitting in comfortably" into your landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you were a freshman! You already seem like such an austinite! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is hopdoddy's? I feel like i might've gone there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes this is my first year in Austin! I can't believe it has gone by so fast. Mayra it's a really great burger place. You have to try it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.