A Last Look at the Park
Interacting with the Landscape...
This trip took place on a rather hot day, in the middle of the afternoon. The park looked the same as always, filled with trees, grass, birds, and squirrels. As I took my usual seat on the bench by the bridge, I relaxed and just let myself observe my surroundings. I jotted my observances down, and analyzed them with respect to my gender identity as a woman later on. I realized that I paid the most attention to the aesthetic value of the park, focusing on the colors and shapes of the flora, creek, and bridge. I focused on the colors of the plants around the edge of the water, and the fact that the bench I was sitting on should be cleaned and repainted. I also took notice of the small animals in my vicinity, thinking that the birds were singing quite a bit and watching the ducks as they cooled off in the water. I found myself wishing that I had brought some bread to feed them. Overall, as a woman, I feel that I interacted with the landscape with more of a maternal point of view, focusing on what could be done to clean up the area and provide for the animals there.
In general, I don't interact with the visitors in the park very much. This time was no different, but I made an effort to make note of any interaction that did occur. This usually entailed making eye contact and a quick nod of the head or a quiet, "Hello." I walked around the park running trail to increase the chances for interaction, after which I returned to my bench and took notes. I found that I was much more likely to make eye contact with another woman, and rarely did so with an older man, although both parties seemed generally friendly and open to interaction. I'd never noticed this about myself before, but I think it can be easily explained with society's general trust of female strangers over male strangers. From a young age, I was taught not to talk to any stranger. However, it seemed that the rules could be bent a little if I were in trouble (i.e. lost), and, generally, I would seek out a woman to help me. I even remember reading in a childhood book that a young girl's mother had instructed her to seek out a woman with children if she ever needed help. Although I obviously now converse freely with male and female strangers, it seems that I still hold some reservations about who I feel comfortable interacting with. Although this feels like an internal safeguard, I feel like it could also limit the people that I meet.
Final Thoughts...
I chose this spot out of convenience--it was within walking distance, it seemed safe and open, and there were several places to just sit and observe. As I've come throughout the semester, though, I have really grown to enjoy the park. It's become a place where I can go to relax with friends or myself, and has definitely proven to be a little oasis in the middle of a college city.
That's really interesting that you noticed both women and men were equally receptive to interaction. I usually interact with women too, but not necessarily because they are perceived as safer. In my experience, the men do not make many opportunities for interactions with strangers while the women are more leisurely and easier to approach. Do you think a guy would have the same thoughts? Or do you think they would be more comfortable approaching a male than a female stranger?
ReplyDeleteThat's a really interesting point. I've heard that women tend to be more social, perhaps because females had to communicate and rely on each other as they worked together in hunter-gatherer societies, so women being more open to interaction sounds like a very plausible factor. I also agree with what Wayne said in the comment below, that people generally feels more comfortable communicating with members of the same gender.I wonder if the trend changes with age, i.e. if young boys are more apt to approach a female or male, considering that most caregivers are female.
DeleteI can really see where you are coming from. To me, it seems like it is just easier to interact with the same gender. In my experiences, it is much easier to talk to a male stranger than a female stranger. I think it comes down to the idea that if someone is the same gender as you they become similar to you in a way.
ReplyDeleteI think that's a very insightful point. I didn't even consider it when I was at the park, but that was probably a big factor, especially since I was alone and didn't know anyone there.
DeleteGreat insight into gender interactions at Central Park. I understand your maternal point of view with the landscape because I started to develop a similar perspective about my location.
ReplyDeleteThanks! Isn't it crazy how attached you can get to a place after just a couple of visits?
Delete