Last Post- Crazy!
Being a female observing at the library definitely affects how the people of the landscape interact with me. As I’ve mentioned before a lot of moms with their young children come by and I’ve found they are very friendly and often talkative if I engage them in any way (open door, help a little one up the stairs, etc). I’m not sure if this is gender specific, but I did find I only helped mothers.This was not intentional at all, however, I do feel as though my gender played a role in observing how people and I interact with one another at the Georgetown library.
During this last observation I came up with a few reasons how my gender affects specific things in my landscape and the people in it.These reasons would probably differ for each person and their landscape. For me, I feel as though I can relate to a women with children more so than how I relate with a man for a few reasons. Obviously because I am a female myself, then because I came from a larger family, and lastly because I nanny small children. Therefore, since the majority of people I saw at the library every time were females with children it was easy for me to interact with them.
Specifically, the landscape is fairly gender neutral since most people come to the library for similar reasons. I would be interested to see if there is a general pattern of what males check out versus what books females check out. It's been great looking at the Library of Georgetown a tad differently than I normally would and taking to time to reflect on the landscape.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.