I recently made my last visit to Lady Bird Lake. Similar to my previous visits, it was not common to see an individual walk along the trail. This could have been due to making visits during the early morning hours when a typical person would be at work or a college student in class. Despite being the only one around most of the time, I found myself connecting to the landscape. Instead of the lake being some random place that I chose to do a blog on, Lady Bird Lake became that place I looked forward to seeing.
There are not many places around the Austin area that are serene, tranquil, and beautiful; the lake became that for me. Visiting the lake allowed me to relieve myself of the day to day worries and just sit back and relax. In some sense, an emotional tie developed. I also became concerned for the landscape. I wondered if the ducks were being fed and how many times a month the lake would be cleaned. The lake was never messy but I remember seeing very little clutter near the edges of the lake on a visit that was not too long ago. I was relieved when the clutter was cleared. Now that I reflect back to the start of the semester, I never understood how people could become drawn or connected unless it was an integral part of their culture. So now, I have a better understanding of how people connect with a certain landscape and how it can influence a person's emotions.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLoved your reflections and questions! I thought similar things..worrying about the people of my landscape- I wonder if our emotional ties were because of our gender :) Or if some of the boys felt the same ties to their landscape?
ReplyDelete