At the corner of 5th and congress is a juxtaposition of very different buildings. This was the corner from which I observed this intersection.
The landscape is rather flat, as most urban areas are, to facilitate buildings and expansion. The skyline is peppered by skyscrapers as well, as you can see in the above-photo.
The vegetation of the area is rather sparse. The only plants in sight are bare or almost-bare trees that are carefully spaced across the sidewalks.
![]() |
| The side of the intersection I stood upon was a string of bars and restaurants. |
I stood on the corner with The Geisha Room. The building itself was a small cocktail lounge with darkened windows. The building itself was very closed off. However, from prior experience, I know that it is the complete opposite at night. The doors are left open, the place packed, and the window to the left of the above- picture is opened to let the music of live musicians inside flow into the street. However, none of that is evident when I visit this place during the day. The only adornment is a small and unassuming bench to the side of the building.
Looking across the Congress Ave, I spy a completely different kind of building: The Mexic Arte Museum. Its simple lines, bold color contrast, and red geometric detailing at the top of the building seem to draw on the artwork housed in the museum for architectural inspiration.
![]() |
| Directly across Congress Ave, I see a Mexican Art Museum and expensive retail stores. |
I chose this intersection because I thought it was a good representation of the incredibly different types of buildings that can stand so close together as a result of the competitive and physically close situation that it present in downtown areas of very developed cities. This kind of city planning would probably not happen in the suburbs, or even a less-developed city.







Interesting spot! I've been around there so many times and don't recognize it. I totally agree that the buildings are very different.
ReplyDeleteHaha yeah! Growing up in the suburbs, I hadn't really seen much of this type thing. I guess it's more common in cities though.
DeleteInteresting how old architecture and new commerce mix together. You should do an entry at night, the juxtaposition of surrounding people depending on time of day might be interesting as well.
ReplyDeleteHm yeah I really wanted to do an entry at night! But I only had time to do this one during the day. It's really a shame though because I mostly chose this area because The Geisha House was there and it was closed.
DeleteYour description was so vivid that I honestly imagined myself there while reading it. I agree with Patrick though, it would be super neat to do a night entry! LOVE the architechture.
ReplyDeleteAw thanks Sam! I agree with you and Patrick; night entry next time. :)
DeleteNeat pictures! I used to see these places on my jog route when I lived on campus. I haven't been able to see these places since I moved off campus, last year. I need to return, though. It makes jogging more enjoyable.
ReplyDelete