The Stark House Museum is on a corner lot in Orange, Texas, a small town located near the Texas and Louisiana border. It was build in 1894 for W.H. Stark and his wife, Miriam Lutcher Stark, self titled philanthropist. The museum is a fourteen thousand square foot, three-story home, with fifteen rooms of original family furnishings, personal effects and decorative arts. More details of the interior of the home and the Stark's possessions can be found at http://starkculturalvenues.org/whstarkhouse/.
This is one of those historical landmarks located in my home town that I take for granted because I would pass by this beautiful home daily on my way to the local college but never really took the time to admire the handy work of the late 1800s. In fact, I just recently learn that the picture above is the true front of the house, while the picture below provided by www.starkculturalvenues.org is the left side of the home and the view most see from driving by. The only item that has ever received my attention in this area are the strange, extremely short iron fences. I have always wondered if this was for decoration or if Orange receive a multitude of hurricanes that the fences became buried with added soil and/or sunk over time. As I take a moment to truly admire this landscape, I am amazed of all the intricate details within the manicured yard of seasonal flowers; the mixture of scalloped and straight board siding; porch railings; three chemeys; and the unique roof design of primarily A-frame peaks with a tower room protruding through.


What a gorgeous house! I love visiting homes-turned-museums, and this looks like an especially interesting one. Thanks for including the link to the website; now I want to visit!
ReplyDeleteWow, this house is seriously beautiful. Reminds me of a dollhouse or something. Did you visit it a lot back in Orange?
ReplyDeleteEmily, I have seen the house frequently because for the last two years I passed it daily while attending Lamar State College- Orange, which is just one block from the Stark House Museum, but I have only visited the home once. Thank you for the comment.
DeleteWhat a beautiful area! This seems like a really great area to chose for the assignment. The house is large, but I can't believe it's 14,000 square feet!
ReplyDeleteGreat choice! I never knew the Stark's lived in Orange. Thanks for this post.
ReplyDeletePatrick, thank you for the comment, but I'm curious. Do you know a lot about the Stark family?
DeleteThis house is seriously BEAUTIFUL. I cannot stop looking at the pictures. And it's a really unique contribution to this blog considering most of the places chosen were in Austin. Thank you SO much, I will continue to look at the website! So cool!
ReplyDelete