A Walk in the Park
Walking along Guadalupe St. in the suffocating Texas heat in August, I was trying to explore the UT campus area, like any freshman would. Coming from Virginia, I wasn't quite prepared for the unearthly summer weather here. I was just about to give up and simply melt into a puddle on the sidewalk when I saw it: a small park, green and welcoming, that popped out unexpectedly, like a desert oasis. When I was given the assignment to pick a place to visit and write about, I knew that this haven would serve me well yet again.
So let's go visit Central Park.
The Spot...
When I visited the park this time, the weather had changed dramatically. There was a bit of a nip in the air, as they say, but the wind was relentless. I persevered, though, and made my way down the 14 blocks of Guadalupe until I reached the intersection of 38th St. I scurried across the crosswalk, then paused at the entrance to the park. I'm always amazed at the tricks a permanent place can play on someone's mind: this park always seems to pop up out of nowhere. You're walking along the street, looking at the small businesses all bunched together along a broken sidewalk, and suddenly, there's a lovely tree-filled park. I moved along the running trail, looking for a good place to stop and observe. Finally, about halfway through the park, I found it: a wrought-iron bench on the side of the trail--perfect for sitting and looking.
Get Your Bearings...
The Main Attraction...
Gas-lamp-style lights lined the highlight of the park: the running trail. I could tell that the area had once been composed of small hills. The tops of these had been leveled out for the red gravel trail that circles the ponds. It was obvious, even from my short visit, that the park is very popular with runners, joggers, and dog-walkers a-plenty. Despite this, the area still proved to be a wonderful place to escape to for a moment of peace and relaxation.
Until Next Time...
Remember to stop and smell the roses, feed some fish, or take a hike...maybe even to Central Park.
This place looks really nice! I have been to many parks around campus but never this one..do you visit the place often?
ReplyDeleteI've never been to Ireland.. but for some reason it makes me think of Ireland.. all green and clean.
ReplyDeleteStephanie: I've only been there twice, and the first time was completely by accident. I really like it though, and it hasn't been crowded both times I visited.
ReplyDeleteMayra: I didn't even think about that, but now that you mention it, the park does have a European feel to it, with all of the architecture. And it's definitely very green!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to go check it out its really neat!
ReplyDelete