Sunday, February 3, 2013

Lady Bird Lake

With the busyness of the city and the seemingly endless construction, I chose an area that has a natural nostalgic to it. Lady Bird Lake is a 7.2 mile trail that passes through the center of Downtown Austin. The area that I am focusing on is located off of I-35 going southbound. Not only is this trail pet friendly, but is also great for biking, hiking, and family picnics.



Much as I like the natural aspect of Lady Bird Lake, the urbanization of Austin brings out the naturalness of this trail. There are houses surrounded by an abundance of trees overlooking the lake. On my visit here, I saw and heard the passing of a train. The train tracks, also hidden by the trees, pass through the left of the houses.

Along the trail, you will encounter buildings. Pictured to the left is a photo showing the future area for redevelopment. On the right of the picture is a portion of the parking garage building of Holiday Inn. Heading in the opposite direction you will walk under I-35 and hear the incessant sound of cars passing by. 
Although surrounded by the modernity of urbanization, this is an ideal area for sightseers or for those looking for a relaxed and stress free environment. You can hear the ducks paddling their feet on the surface of the water. The aroma of the lake is potent enough to reach your nostrils. It may not be the most difficult trail to hike with its semi-flat ground, but it will suffice for those maybe wanting to take a leisurely walk. The pathway is traced with firm soil and loose small pebbles. Green grass and trees are a continuity along this trail. If you need to rest or want to have that picnic on a perfectly sunny day, tables and benches suite those pleasures.

6 comments:

  1. This seems so nice! I think I'll try going there sometime soon. Is the place pretty quiet? Because I know some other parts of Zilker Park are really crowded.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I myself have not visited this location often, but the few times I have it's been quiet. I hope you get a chance to visit.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a really beautiful spot! Is this part of the greenbelt trail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I know there are multiple areas that allow access to the greenbelt, but not exactly sure.

      Delete
  3. I love this area of Austin! You must have taken these pictures pretty early in the morning because I've never seen the trail so quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was early and a bit cold on this visit. I agree that it is a nice area.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.