Austin, Texas is infamous across the country for many reasons. One, for being the one of the healthiest cities in the country. Two, for being the live music capitol of the world. And three, for being an active, outdoorsy, organic city. So its no wonder that the people who live in this "weird" city, congregate in the biggest park Austin has to offer on beautiful, sunny days to play sports, eno, and picnic with friends.
Zilker Park
Zilker Park is located just south of the city, off of Barton Springs Road, and runs along the southern edge of Lake Austin.
From anywhere in the park you can see the Austin skyline in the background complementing the wide open field filled with a multitude of people, dogs and trees lining the park. For a moment you actually can forget you're in a city.
The terrain at the park is generally flat with very minuscule, random slopes soon to flatten out again in unison with the rest of the park. The trees are very big with tons of leafless branches, considering it's February. The grass is soft and green. There are no flowers anywhere, but there is a large rock off center in the field. There is a train that loops around the park, entertaining the children who's parents are finally suckered into allowing their kids to ride. South of the park is Barton Springs road. When you are sitting out there on the field, you can only see the Austin skyline to the northeast of the park: a ton of skyscrapers and office buildings and condos, but oddly enough when you are at Zilker for a moment you feel like you are not in a city anymore.
I still have yet to visit Zilker, but it looks beautiful. I love the contrast between the trees and the Austin city skyline.
ReplyDeleteIf a single place had to used to describe Austin, I think Zilker might be the choice. I love the picture too, awesome framing.
ReplyDeleteThanks! I am in love with Zilker Park. Honestly, I go there at least three times a week. I highly recommend going there, you'll fall in love. Especially with the great weather we've been having lately!
ReplyDeleteThank you for informing us about this lovely park. I am new to Austin and I am curious about the train around the park. You say "parents are finally suckered into allowing their kids to ride," which seems negative. Is the train expensive or unsafe?
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI've only been to Zilker Park once, but love the Skyline view. I need to go back. Nice picture!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy visiting zilker park especially because it changes so much through out the year. During acl you'd never know it had just been a park before and then a month later the city of Austin puts up an extravagent Christmas light show. Such a great part of Austin!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete